Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Book Binding



We created our own sketch books! The first step in this process was to paint a sheet of paper however we wanted to. I love blending colors to create a rainbow effect so that's how I created mine. After the paintings dried, we took two pieces of hard, cardboard like paper and pasted it to the back side of our painting. We cut the paper in half and glued the edges inside to cover the whole thing. Then, we cut them apart. We took about 25 plain white sheets of paper and placed them between the two covers and clipped them together so they didn't move. We measured out 4 or 5 different spots along the edge of the paper to drill hole for binding the book together. Once the holes have been drilled the book is ready to be bound with tough string or dental floss. I found it very challenging trying to clip my book together without all my paper moving! I also ended up having wrinkles on my cover which drove me crazy! As an extension of the book binding I would have this sketch book be used as somewhat of a journal. This would allow the students to doodle and draw any sort of images they wanted at any time. This is a great way to get the students to express themselves. I would assign specific sketches as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment