Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Word Collages


In this lesson we created collages. We added 3-4 different kinds of media to our work. First of all, we chose 4 different words and had to give them a definition. In the top picture the word was journey- I said it was an adventure, something new and exciting. The first thing that came to mind was nature and going on a journey. I did all of the steps of that picture. The second picture down the word was Lonely-Being alone, sad, by yourself. The first thing that came to mind was the colors of blue and purple. I then added one white circle on the page representing being lonely. The other students added to it by using some pastels and putting a monkey on it. The third one down the word was clarity. When I think of something being clear I think of it as in simple terms, things should be black and white with no confusion. The next person added some different shapes and lines and the words "still married" was added to it. The fourth one down represents the word wretched-I thought of this word meaning a mess, evil, misery. I started the painting wit dark colors. I had the background black and splashed some red paint on it. Added to this someone used yellow paint and pastels to give it a little more "edge." In the final step someone added different objects giving it even more of an edge and evil appearance. I was really impressed with how it turned out. The one thing that I didn't like in this project was that we started a piece and had to keep trading and switching. I understand the reasoning for this but I am a very particular person and I envisioned each word in a certain way and some of the finished products did not turn out how I envisioned them at all. An extension to this product may include something along the lines of using these words in writing by using the pictures to portray a meaning. I think it would be very interesting to see how the students would use the words based off of how the pictures turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment